Pediatric Kidney Transplant
Collaborative Family-Centred Care
Transplant Manitoba-Pediatric Kidney Program takes a holistic approach to pediatric patients with end-stage renal disease, with an emphasis on family-centered care. Comprehensive pre- and post-transplant care is provided by a team of experienced specialists.
Leadership in pediatric kidney transplantation
To provide state of the art, comprehensive, family-centered care to children and families requiring a kidney transplant at Children’s Hospital, Health Sciences Centre Winnipeg.
We are a group of transplant professionals dedicated to leading, advancing, and advocating for patient care, research and education to improve kidney transplantation for children.
In all aspects of care delivery from pre-transplant assessment to transplant, post transplant care and transition to the Adult Transplant Service. We promote excellence in patient outcomes for transplant in the Pediatric Kidney Program.
In program development, research and care provision in pediatric kidney transplantation.
To children and their families, the Pediatric Kidney Program, and the global transplant community for the care we promote and deliver.
For individual choice, family decisions, cultural values, and team involvement in all communications, interactions and processes.
In transplant assessment processes, care provided during and after transplant, educational materials and communications.
With children, families and other professionals in a timely and respectful manner to ensure accuracy, involvement and understanding.
Acting on the highest standards of ethical practice in all aspects of individual and organizational functioning.
With children, families and other professionals in a timely and respectful manner to ensure quality care.
In basic science, clinical and social science research to improve the understanding of outcomes related to pediatric kidney transplantation and the care provided to children and families requiring kidney transplant.
From Bench to Bedside
Transplant Manitoba-Pediatric Kidney Program serves the provinces of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, North Western Ontario and Nunavut. Our program is recognized both nationally and internationally for its innovative clinical research. Cutting-edge research sets the standard for advances in the clinical care of transplanted children. Our unique innovations include:
- Pediatric Protocol Biopsy and Follow-Up Biopsy Programs for the early detection of subclinical (aka "silent") rejection.
- Quantitative image analysis to monitor the progression of chronic allograft nephropathy (CAN) (aka "scarring"), the leading cause of long-term graft loss in children.
- Non-invasive biomarkers of rejection using urine nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR).
- Clincal trials aimed at the modulation of CAN.
- For more information on keeping your kidneys healthy, click here.
- What do I need to know about being on the wait list? Click here for more information.
- Ready for eCAP testing? Click here for details.
- SICK Day Management - Sick days are one of the most challenging tasks in caring for your kidney transplant. Click here for guidelines.
- Mycophenolate fact sheet. Click here for important information about this medication.
- Tacrolimus fact sheet. Click here for important information about this medication.
- Adherence is key to keeping your kidney healthy. Click here for information about sticking to your health care plan after transplant.
- Planning to write to your donor family? Click here for writing tips.
- What can I have to drink? Click here for fresh ideas to fill your glass.
- Summer is coming! Click here for tips on enjoying the outdoors.
- It is tick season. Click here for information about protecting yourself from ticks.
- Avoid infections. Click here for healthy living tips.
Health Care Transition
- Introduction to Transition for Youth
- Introduction to Transition for Parents
- Introduction to Adult Renal Transplant Program
Links for healthcare professionals
- International Pediatric Transplant Association (IPTA)
- Resources to faciliate learning regarding healthy kidneys